CARNEGIE PUBLIC LIBRARY
Traer was library-minded early in its history. Formation of a library association in 1880 bought and maintained a collection of books housed in the basement of the Congregational Church – membership was $1.00.
In 1913, a public library was established in the old Kroeger Hotel building. With funds from the U. S. steel industrialist, Andrew Carnegie, the present library was erected and dedicated in 1916.
Many books have been donated to the library throughout the years, and countless memorial donations have helped to increase the number of volumes. A renovation and addition to the library was completed in 2004 to accommodate handicap access and add meeting and conference rooms to better serve the community.
Traer Public Library
531 2nd Street, Traer, IA 50675