Traer was library-minded early in its history. The idea of a free public library was first proposed at a community meeting in 1906 and this sincere interest culminated in the erection of the present building 10 years later.
CARNEGIE PUBLIC LIBRARY
A library association, formed in 1880, bought and maintained a collection of books housed in the basement of the Congregational Church—membership was $1.00.
In 1913, a public library was established in the old Kroeger Hotel building. With funds from the US steel industrialist, Andrew Carnegie, the present library was erected and dedicated in 1916.
Many books have been donated to the library throughout the years, and countless memorial donations have helped to increase the number of volumes. A renovation and addition to the library was completed in 2004 to make the library accessible and add meeting and conference rooms to better serve the community.
Traer Public Library
531 2nd Street, Traer, IA 50675